Making the forum more welcoming for users

It looks like the easiest way would be to make a post in the News and Announcements section to explain the changes we made to the subscription process and how one can adjust it (with instructions here). Weekly digest should send this to all user who are subscribed.

We will make the following changes from this discourse admin

• Default categories watching will be set to News and Announcements and Support
  • default email digest frequency change from weekly to never. This will disable by default the weekly digest that most user find not useful. One can still reactivate it via its personal setting. We can do this one month after the announcement.

Testing the current registration

I created a test account to see what the onboarding process and understand how we can explain to new user how to use the forum. This is the results of my test

• There is only one email to confirm the account, and no proper welcome email
  • After confirming their account, the user is then redirected to the top quarterly message, which may be confusing but I haven't found how to change this.
  • They receive a private message on the forum from a bot named discobot (see screenshot below)

As a result, I am still looking for a way to email new member recommendation on how to set up their email notification. Maybe this is something we can add to Welcome to the OpenRefine community forum so it is present in the banner? Should we edit discobot message to include something more relevant to our forum?

discobot welcome message