Requesting Feedback: Documenting OpenRefine Community Handbooks

The CSCCE workshop ended last Friday and here is a summary of the where things stands. We already started to discuss specific point in separate Github issues or forum conversations, this post is to provide an overview on what's on my roadmap and in which order I want to approach them.

Playbook structure

The document Sandbox Playbooks presents the overall structure of the three playbooks and contains pointers to relevant discussion or existing documents. That document helped me step back and understand the different parts and how they relate to each other. I will keep using it as my blueprint as we make progress.

Overall we are looking at three playbooks, all hosted in OpenRefine/openrefine.org

Playbook 1: About OpenRefine

• Target audience: General Public, Contributors, Partners
  • Goal: Increase Transparency regarding the project organization, governance, and roadmap.
  • Structure: Update the main website to provide a high-level overview of the project, including the project mission and vision, its history, roadmap, funding, OpenRefine ecosystem overview, and the project governance and roles

Playbook 2: Contributor Guides

• Target audience: OpenRefine Contributors
  • Goals:
    • Increase Transparency: on how one can gain or lose access
    • Set norms and expectations regarding each role and how one can help
    • Help scale by helping new contributors onboard and grow as leaders.
    • Preserve knowledge: Document processes for the next generation of contributors.
  • Structure: Individual playbook for each contributor pathways: developer, designer, trainer, documentation, translation, user support, Code of conduct and Advisory Committee. I will continue to follow the existing structure with one subsection per contribution type under Contributing to OpenRefine

Playbook 3: Operation Manual

• Target audience: OpenRefine Contributor and Staff
  • Goals:
    • Increase Transparency: on internal processes
    • Help scale and Preserve knowledge by providing a reference point
  • Structure: Create a new top section in our documentation or a sub-section in the Contributor Guide. It will focus on the what, how, and where for specific processes supporting multiple contributor guides using checklists and templates.

Deploying each playbook

I plan to deploy the three playbooks in five phases

1. Quick wins (March and April): I will draft PRs and submit them for review for the following section:

• Restructure the website for pages that require little consensus:
    • OpenRefine Ecosystem
    • OpenRefine History
    • Who use OpenRefine
    • What's new (and release note)
  • Code of Conduct Contributor Guide
  • Advisory Committee Contributor Guide
  • Operation Manual: tools used (Github, Discourse, Figma, Zoom, SurveyMonkey, Email and Google Drive)

2. Clarify OpenRefine Mission, Vision, and Value (April to June). We are currently selecting consultants. A clear mission and vision will help structure the conversation for sections requiring community consensus in the following steps

3. Based on the new mission and vision (Summer 2024)

• Update project roles and governance. This should be mostly cleaned up without major changes.
  • Project roadmap, how do we publish it, how do we agree on what's on the roadmap.
  • Social Conduct. I want to confirm first if we need it to complete the Code of Conduct.

4. Update or create the contributor guide based on the updated project roles and governance:

• Developer: update existing content
  • Designer: update existing content
  • Translation: expand the guide
  • Support: create the guide
  • Trainer: create the guide
  • Documentation: expand the guide

5. I complete the operation manual separately including

• Hiring and working with contractors
  • Grant Management
  • Applying to internship programs (GSoC, outreachy)
  • Maintenance on certain pages on the website.