Fundraising to commission the development of a MediaWiki extension for reconciliation with Wikibase

The Wikibase integration in OpenRefine relies on the support for the reconciliation API by Wikibase. This is currently implemented by a micro-service written in Python which I originally wrote. I stopped maintaining it because I don't see how this architecture can provide adequate service (both in terms of ease of deployment and of reliability for end users).

There has been interest from various parties to have this functionality integrated in Wikibase as a MediaWiki extension. We have recently applied for funding in this regard, but we were unfortunately unsuccessful.

One option would be to fundraise this development from other funding sources, such as institutions which currently deploy Wikibase and struggle with the existing reconciliation service. As part of the previous funding application, the project was estimated at between 31.500€ for a minimal viable product and 70.000€ for including further stretch goals. This estimate was done in collaboration with Professional.Wiki, who would be contracted for the implementation of this extension.

The Department of Culture Flanders and Kunstenpunt would already be ready to contribute 7.500€ towards this goal. Can we find other institutions who could be willing to contribute something towards this project? I am thinking about:

• institutions which already use Wikibase or plan to do so
  • service providers which offer hosted Wikibase instances and are interested in easing the use of OpenRefine with such instances
  • funders with aligned goals, such as the adoption of open standards or support for digital infrastructure in particular domains where Wikibase is used
  • maybe other sources?

I will try to get the ball rolling on this at the Wikibase Stakeholder Group, but if anyone here has ideas about this, I am keen to read them.

1 Like

Why not the WMF General Support Fund? Grants:Programs/Wikimedia Community Fund/General Support Fund - Meta

1 Like

If software development projects of this sort fit in the scope, that's would be great of course! I had the impression that it was more oriented towards advocacy and community building.

Also, I think the Wikimedia Foundation and its chapters will likely want to focus on reconciliation for the Wikimedia projects (so, for Wikidata and Wikimedia Commons). For the previous funding application we made, we kept those out of scope because we know it's difficult to deploy MediaWiki extensions on those wikis. My hope would be that the third-party Wikibases show the lead here by developing this extension, which could then be proposed for deployment on Wikimedia wikis once it has seen significant adoption in other Wikibases (on a longer term).

The advisory committee decided that unless there is a significant need to go through OpenRefine, we do not need to be involved in the grant application process for the development of a MediaWiki extension for reconciliation with Wikibase. We are happy to endorse the plan if it will help secure funding. (See minutes August 15, 2024, Advisory Committee only)

@lozanaross prepared a grant application with the Wikibase Stakeholder Group to fund the extension development.