Reconcile Against any MediaWiki Instance

We built a very experimental OpenRefine reconciliation service which works with most MediaWiki or Wikibase instances. It will change and break in the coming weeks as we bring it in line with our existing services but the hope is to have it replace most of our MediaWiki reconciliation services during early autumn after which it should be stable.

Anyway, if you try it out please let me know! And if you are at Wikimania feel free to say hi.

2 Likes

Very nice! I wonder who is "we"? Meaning, which organization / collective should we thank for providing this service?

I tried to look up it up by going to https://kartkod.se/ but at the moment it gives me "Error 1000, DNS points to prohibited IP"

Oh and I have many follow-up questions! :slight_smile:

• what sorts of use cases are you targeting for MediaWiki reconciliation?
  • is it open source? If I understood well, the team behind Wikibase.Cloud has been thinking of similarly hosting reconciliation services for all Wikibase.Cloud instances as one single web service, so I suspect they will be very interested in your service (because adapting my old service for that is probably not very easy). They could just point people to use yours, but if hosting it on their side is doable it would probably make sense.
  • do you intend to support data extension or auto-completion ("suggest services"), and if not, why?

We can of course talk more at Wikimania but I thought others might be interested in the answers too.

Woops that's an old playground domain for experiments like this one. It's the same collective as with the GeoNames service, that being fornpunkt.se and its sister projects.

A lot of its reconciliation of old datasets witch might have links to MediaWiki categories or Wikipedia links, as well as a lot of internal Wikis, one could often use Wikidata to find these but a major benefit of doing it this way is that it takes advantage of the fulltext search of MediaWiki.

No not just yet, it's incredibly dependent on our CDN provider, but one of the goals with this attempt is to make it run in additional(and open) runtimes! I'm not sure it make total sense for them to reuse our setup given their stack and our odd set of reconciliation extensions but maybe there is something useful in there.

• do you intend to support data extension or auto-completion ("suggest services"), and if not, why?

Short answer; no because we don't use those. Longer answer; maybe the auto-completion, but not data extension as I don't think data extension should be dependent on a such a specification, instead, on our end data extension is supported through GREL over any HTTP resource as long as it responds with either HTML, RDF, XML, or JSON.

That said I'm very open to add support for things that might only be beneficial for the community, but I would much rather try to align our OpenRefine client and server with upstream.