GSoC 2024 Contributor Application Period

Hi everyone,
As a final year undergraduate student with expertise in Java, JavaScript frameworks, and utilizing Selenium for web automation. GSoC represents an exciting opportunity for me to dive into open-source development. I'm eager to contribute and learn under the mentorship of experienced professionals. Looking forward to potentially joining GSoC and collaborating with the open-source community.

2 Likes

@Abhay_Singh_Verma1 @Tushar_Bhatia Welcome to OpenRefine, checkout starter issues here: Issues · OpenRefine/OpenRefine · GitHub to get started

Join gitter chat here:https://app.gitter.im/#/room/#OpenRefine_OpenRefine:gitter.im

Quick note that I have removed the "New operation to add blank rows to a project" project idea from the list because we realized that someone had already been working on it before GSoC. I sincerely apologize for folks who intended to apply for this project. I will try to come up with more project ideas. Remember, you can also propose your own project even if it's not mentioned on the ideas page.

I have added three more projects, taken from our ideas list from the previous years. I hope this gives prospective applicants a bit more choice! Again you are also free to propose projects on other topics and I'm happy to help you improve your proposals before their submission on the GSoC portal.

1 Like

Are there any guidelines on what makes a project's size small, medium, or large? Does it match the hour estimates listed on the ideas page: 90, 175, or 350 hours, respectively?

Are there any guidelines on what makes a project's size small, medium, or large? Does it match the hour estimates listed on the ideas page: 90, 175, or 350 hours, respectively?

Yes. https://developers.google.com/open-source/gsoc/faq#how_much_time_does_gsoc_participation_take

1 Like

@steve, yes, it is based on the hour estimate. It must be one of the three options: 90h, 175h, or 350h; GSoC does not accept other estimates. You can find instructions on how to write good proposal in the GSoC guide.

1 Like

Hello everyone. I am Fadzai Zaranyika, a junior undergraduate student with skills in Java, Python, JavaScript frameworks. I am a beginner developer who is very interesed in OpenRefine. I hope I make some valuable contributions with my skills on the open source projects.

This week we have another video meetup, on 2024-03-29T07:00:00Z.
GSoC applicants are particularly welcome there. I hope to see many faces, old and new :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi @antonin_d Here is my draft gsoc application: Openrefine Project Proposal Draft - Google Docs, Please review and give feedback. Thanks!

Hi @Redeem_Grimm,

I'm afraid I won't be able to give you any feedback before the submission deadline, as it is in 2 hours.
The team will review all submitted proposals after the deadline but there won't be any opportunity to make changes to them.

Best of luck!

Thank you @antonin_d, I just submitted

1 Like