GSoC 2024 Contributor Application Period

Welcome to the OpenRefine forum! If you're here as a potential applicant for the GSoC 2024 internship, this thread is the perfect place to start. This is the place to introduce you to our community and ask your questions.

During the contribution period (February 22 - March 18 2024)

As you get started, you can review the following documents:

During the contribution period we invite candidates to look at our list of good first issues and start contributing on them to get familiar with the contribution process of the project. You are also welcome to tackle other issues.

To apply for an internship

You will need to write an application via the GSoC portal. OpenRefine does not put any additional structure on top of this application process. See GSoC's guide about writing a proposal.

You can take inspiration from one of our project ideas for GSoC 2024 but you are also free to propose your own topic.

To review applications, we will primarily look at:

• the contributions made by the intern during the contribution period (primarily looking at the quality of pull requests and the communication around it)
  • the quality of the project proposal itself

@Martin it would be worth adding to your post that:

During the initial contribution period, we recommend that you try tackling some of our good first issues.

The tasks listed in our GSoC project ideas should not be worked on during this period, but during the internship instead.

2 Likes

I edited my post accordingly.

I'm a senior undergraduate student with theoretical knowledge in computer science, including Java and JavaScript. While I haven't participated in open source projects, I've worked on smaller, course-related projects. GSoC is my first step into this realm, and OpenRefine has caught my eye. I will definitely continue to try enhancing my understanding on OpenRefine in the following days. However, I'm concerned about my readiness. What qualifications are needed to qualify for this project?

Hello. I'm a senior Computer Science student at the German International University in Egypt. I have some experience in open source and web development, so JavaScript and TypeScript. I've also contributed to another open source project called Mathesar for last year's GSoC, but didn't make it in there sadly. However, this year I'm planning to take GSoC more seriously and I'll explore OpenRefine in the days during the contribution period.

1 Like

Hello and welcome @T-Rex, set up the project and try your hand at the list of good first issues to see if you are ready, as far as qualifications are concerned, if you are allowed to participate as per GSoC guidelines, that's enough.

Thank you for your prompt response. I'll set up the project and take a look at the list of good first issues.

Hey guys! I created my first PR for the docs here: Upload Offline pdf docs by monstajoe2002 · Pull Request #304 · OpenRefine/openrefine.org · GitHub

1 Like

Hello, I am a beginner developer with experience in java projects, GSoC is my first step into open source and I'm very interested in the OpenRefine project, I'd like to spend this time improving my skills and contributing to the open source community.

Hello I am an undergraduate student having knowledge about JAVA would love to contribute and interact with all

Hi I'm a college student and beginner developer with experience in Java and javcascript development, but have never been exposed to open source projects before, GSoC will be my first step to participate in open source. I am very interested in OpenRefine and I hope to improve my development skills and contribute to the open source community during GSoC under the guidance of a mentor.

I am a college student and a beginner developer with experience in Java and JavaScript. GSoC is my introduction to open source projects and I am very interested in OpenRefine. I hope I can qualify for GSoC and improve my skills during this time and contribute to open source projects.

I am a college student and a beginner developer with experience in Java and JavaScript. GSoC is my introduction to open source projects and I am very interested in OpenRefine. I hope I can qualify for GSoC and improve my skills during this time and contribute to open source projects.

Welcome @Hyxymbg, @smoky, @CWLJB, @2K22SE53_DEEPAK_KUMA, and @Mabaoguo to our forum and thank you for your interest in OpenRefine. We encourage you to take a look at our good first issues and learn how to prepare your first pull request. We will only consider candidates for the GSoC internship who have contributed at least one pull request during the contribution period.

1 Like

Welcome to Opensource @Mabaoguo :slight_smile:

Based on the questions I have had, here are a few things that could be worth clarifying in the first post:

OpenRefine doesn't add any application procedures on top of Google Summer of Code's own structures. To apply for an internship with OpenRefine, just follow the guidelines and application procedure on GSoC's website.

The project ideas we list are just our initial ideas. Feel free to come up with your own proposals. Feel free to ask feedback about your project ideas on this forum.

To review applications, we'll primarily look at:

• the contributions made by the intern during the contribution period (primarily looking at the quality of pull requests and the communication around it)
  • the quality of the project proposal itself

Instead of pointing to the CONTRIBUTING.md file in our repository as starting point for contributions, I would directly point to Getting started | OpenRefine (which is not specific to documentation @Martin ).

During the contribution period, feel free to tackle any issue you are interested in. The ones labeled as "good first issue" are the ones we think would be the most suited in general, but depending on your interests and skills, a lot of others could be suitable too.

2 Likes

@antonin_d Thanks for clearing this up!

Hi, I'm Siva Koushik a computer science masters student at University of North Texas. I worked as a Full stack software developer for 2 years. I have utilized OpenRefine to preprocess the data. I would really be grateful to contribute to openrefine which I used a lot for my work. Looking forward in joining the team and solving the problems.

1 Like

2024-03-12T15:00:00Z we will have an OpenRefine meetup!
If you are trying to get your first contributions in as part of GSoC, why not drop by to meet our users? Maybe they have suggestions of nice improvements to work on! More details here:

3 Likes

Hello Everyone,
I am a final year undergraduate student having knowledge and experience in Java, Kotlin and JavaScript frameworks. GSoC will be my first step towards open source and I am very much interested and will be very grateful to be the part of the same. I hope I could make same good contributions and learn some skills under the guidance of a mentor.

3 Likes