Participation in Google Summer of Code and/or Outreachy

Hi all!

It is time again to decide if we want to offer internships with Google Summer of Code and/or Outreachy this summer (from a northern-hemisphere perspective).

• Outreachy internships run late May 2024 to late August 2024, and the deadline for OpenRefine to apply as a project is Feb 15th. Potential mentors have a week more to submit project proposals.
  • Google Summer of Code internships should run on a similar schedule (which I could not find on their website so far). Applications from organizations open on January 22nd.

If you are interested in mentoring someone to work on OpenRefine, now is a good time to think about it. It is also useful to think about which project you'd propose the intern to work on. If you are unsure about anything please do ask! We generally only apply to participate in those rounds if we can identify motivated mentors ahead of time.

Thanks @antonin_d, for initiating the conversation. Please note the following application deadlines for two programs:

• Google Summer of Code: February 06, 2024, at 1:00 PM (UTC)
  • Outreachy: Sign up deadline is February 15 at 4:00 PM (UTC), and the project must be submitted before February 23.

And some examples of the projects we have proposed (or considered to propose) in the previous years:

Here's some additional information from the Google Summer of Code, including a little more information on the sizing of the project scopes and links to how to create a good project ideas list, as well as the timeline.

Important dates for mentors are:

• now - Feb. 6 - project idea list creation
  • Feb. 22 - Mar. 18 discussions with potential applicants
  • Apr 2-24 application evaluation & ranking
  • May 1-27 - intern onboarding ("community bonding period")
  • May 27 - Aug 26 GSoC coding period

Also the interesting twist to GSoC is that there are now three project sizes (whereas in the past it was expected that the project would keep the intern busy full time for two or three months).

I could imagine mentoring someone for GSoC this time to try out the new format. I'll try to think about project ideas in the coming days. Would people be happy with that? It does generate some additional work for the broader project, especially in the community bonding phase where a flock of applicants generally come round to get PRs in.

In Outreachy, I am quite tired to have to deal with their website, which I find really hard to use. I volunteered to help out to improve it (as it's open source) but the maintainer does not seem to have time to accept help, sadly. But @Martin would likely be able to take over the coordination with Outreachy if people want to propose projects there, so that should not preclude us from participating.

You are correct @antonin_d. I can serve as the main point of contact for OpenRefine with GoSC as the Organization Administrator and outreachy as the Coordinator.

I have started a page with some project suggestions:

Let me know if you think those projects make sense or not - happy to adjust accordingly. Feel free to add more projects too, of course.

@Martin could you use this as a basis to make a GSoC application? The deadline is on Feb 6.

1 Like

I will complete the application for GSoC tomorrow (Feb 5).

I just submitted the application for one mentor :tada:

On Feb 20, 2024, you will receive an email letting you know whether or not your application has been accepted.

At the same time, I created this thread for potential applicants:

It was also the opportunity to

OpenRefine has been accepted for Google Summer of Code 2024. We should start seeing contributions soon from participating students. They are invited to join this conversation first.

2 Likes