Manual entries are not stored in the history?

Hi New to OpenRefine and trying to create repeatable history so I can reimport new data with previous same results. It appears that manual edits of cells and flag/star an entry and say delete that entry do not get recorded in the history so it's repeatable.

Is there a workaround for both types of events? I use facets for many transformations in the data but there are situations in which a manual edit of a cell is needed. Or if wanting remove the row all together that doesn't get recorded.

I would think since OpenRefine knows of the column that's the unique record, I would think these are both easy items to do.

What's a possible workaround for these two issues? I would like to keep it in all done in OpenRefine but it seems I must resort to using Google Sheets or some other API option?

Thanks in advance.

So you're looking for support of full Row/Record indexing of cells in the history?

Say for instance, you delete E:12 and X:5. And you'd want that recorded in the history somehow, because you have another dataset where you'd want to repeat those deletes (make null or blank) for those 2 specific cells? Did I correctly state your needs?

Hi @lludwig while manual entries are recorded in the history within a project (i.e. you can "Undo" and "Redo" them in the Undo/Redo tab), they are not available to export when you click "Extract" for the operation history.

I think the reasoning is that because these are applied to a cell in a specific row, re-using that entry doesn't make sense as you could not guarantee that the same cell would be in the same row in another project. I did previously work with an extension that had functionality to avoid this problem - but I'm afraid that extension is no longer maintained or available. But - you can work around the issue

If you want to always be able to extract your expressions, rather than doing an individual cell edit, you need to instead write a transformation that will only change the cell you want. So for example instead of directly editing a value in the 3rd row of a project you could do a transformation on the column like:

if(row.index==2,"updated text",value)

This will have the same affect as editing the cell in row 3 (note that the row.index is zero based so the first row is 0 the second is 1 etc) - but because you've written it as a transformation it will be exportable from the History.

I wouid almost always recommend trying to write an expression that uses some aspect of the data present to identify the row rather than the row.index which is a fragile way of identifying the thing you want to change (if the data is imported in a different order in a future process, then you'd end up editing the wrong row).

The same approach can be taken with removing rows. You can write a custom text filter with an appropriate expression:

inArray(["2","5","9"],rowIndex.toString())

Select "true" in the facet and then "remove matching rows" to remove rows 3, 6 and 10 from the project.

Again I would emphasise - it's always better to remove a row (or edit a cell) based on explicit criteria that the row or cell fulfils - using the row.index is not what I'd recommend unless there is no other option. But when it is needed, it is possible to do it this way

Thanks for your comment. This helps. I also figured out other ways to edit the content. IMO, I think they should purposely remove the edit button per cell to force you to make edits that are repeatable.