Almost empty first page

Hello,

I am using OpenRefine for many years. The current version is 3.4.1.
The issue is that suddenly after a restart I get the first page in browser (no matter which) that has nothing but this icon on it:

The latest logs:

rver\classes;server\target\lib\*"   -Xms1400M -Xmx6000M -Drefine.memory=6000M -Drefine.max_form_content_size=1048576 -Drefine.port=3333 -Drefine.host=127.0.0.1 -Drefine.webapp=main\webapp -Djava.library.path=server\target\lib/native/windows com.google.refine.Refine
10:47:09.524 [            refine_server] Starting Server bound to '127.0.0.1:3333' (0ms)
10:47:09.524 [            refine_server] refine.memory size: 6000M JVM Max heap: 6291456000 (0ms)
10:47:09.539 [            refine_server] Initializing context: '/' from 'C:\Program Files\Open Source\OpenRefine\webapp' (15ms)
10:47:10.231 [            refine_server] Failed to use jdatapath to detect user data path: resorting to environment variables (692ms)
10:47:10.231 [            refine_server] Failed to use jdatapath to detect user data path: resorting to environment variables (0ms)
SLF4J: Class path contains multiple SLF4J bindings.
SLF4J: Found binding in [jar:file:/C:/Program%20Files/Open%20Source/OpenRefine/server/target/lib/slf4j-log4j12-1.7.18.jar!/org/slf4j/impl/StaticLoggerBinder.class]
SLF4J: Found binding in [jar:file:/C:/Program%20Files/Open%20Source/OpenRefine/webapp/WEB-INF/lib/slf4j-log4j12-1.7.18.jar!/org/slf4j/impl/StaticLoggerBinder.class]
SLF4J: See http://www.slf4j.org/codes.html#multiple_bindings for an explanation.
SLF4J: Actual binding is of type [org.slf4j.impl.Log4jLoggerFactory]
10:47:10.471 [                   refine] Starting OpenRefine 3.4.1 [437dc4d]... (240ms)
10:47:10.471 [                   refine] initializing FileProjectManager with dir (0ms)
10:47:10.471 [                   refine] C:\Users\$user$\AppData\Roaming\OpenRefine (0ms)

Any ideas, why this happens?

Thanks

Anna

I notice that the last line you provide in the log has a user name of $user$.

1. That's not your real username in this Windows environment, is it?
  2. Are you in a virtual environment of some kind with Windows or native Docker?
  3. Did you start OpenRefine by clicking the OpenRefine.exe file?

My hunch is that your Java system version (or path) has changed in your Windows environment. But it might also be a change in one of your OpenRefine extensions that you might have installed?
You can also download and use our latest OpenRefine version (Backup your workspace!) which has Java embedded and avoids using your system Java version which can change sometimes depending on your environment like work/school/etc.

1 Like

Yes, I replaced the username in the path. No virtual environment. No additional extensions installed in the last year. I tried to start with exe and in a console. Result is the same.
Thanks a lot for the advice. Unfortunately I cannot install a different version yet. But I can try to reinstall it.
To backup the workspace means the whole folder "OpenRefine" in AppData?

Yes. Search and Read our docs.

1 Like

Thanks, Thad. I reinstalled the software but experiencing the same issue. Are there any other ways to fix it other than try the latest version?

In the vast majority of cases, when this happens, it is because you have installed an extension which is not compatible with the version of OpenRefine you are running. Could that be the case here? If so, could you try removing any extension you have installed yourself and running OpenRefine again?

If that still does not help, it would be looking into any errors in your browser. You can do so by opening the developer tools while on the OpenRefine blank page, with F12. Then, you can go to the "Console" tab there and copy the contents of the console here (or a screenshot if you prefer).

1 Like

I completely uninstalled OpenRefine and installed again. No extensions yet. The result is the same.
The logs:

10:38:47.672 [            refine_server] Starting Server bound to '127.0.0.1:3333' (0ms)
10:38:47.690 [            refine_server] Initializing context: '/' from 'C:\Program Files\Open Source\OpenRefine\webapp' (18ms)
10:38:48.549 [            refine_server] Failed to use jdatapath to detect user data path: resorting to environment variables (859ms)
10:38:48.553 [            refine_server] Creating new workspace directory C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\OpenRefine (4ms)
10:38:48.555 [            refine_server] Failed to use jdatapath to detect user data path: resorting to environment variables (2ms)
SLF4J: Class path contains multiple SLF4J bindings.
SLF4J: Found binding in [jar:file:/C:/Program%20Files/Open%20Source/OpenRefine/server/target/lib/slf4j-log4j12-1.7.18.jar!/org/slf4j/impl/StaticLoggerBinder.class]
SLF4J: Found binding in [jar:file:/C:/Program%20Files/Open%20Source/OpenRefine/webapp/WEB-INF/lib/slf4j-log4j12-1.7.18.jar!/org/slf4j/impl/StaticLoggerBinder.class]
SLF4J: See http://www.slf4j.org/codes.html#multiple_bindings for an explanation.
SLF4J: Actual binding is of type [org.slf4j.impl.Log4jLoggerFactory]
10:38:48.806 [                   refine] Starting OpenRefine 3.4.1 [437dc4d]... (251ms)
10:38:48.806 [                   refine] initializing FileProjectManager with dir (0ms)
10:38:48.807 [                   refine] C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\OpenRefine (1ms)
10:38:48.819 [       FileProjectManager] Failed to load workspace from any attempted alternatives. (12ms)

The console in browser:

Ok, that's very curious. Have you tried using a more recent version? The version you are using is quite old and is affected by security vulnerabilities, so I think it would make sense to upgrade just to avoid that :slight_smile:

1 Like