👋 Introductions thread!

:handshake: :wave: Introduce yourself in this thread / topic! Who are you? How and why do you use OpenRefine?

Note: you can also add information about yourself in your user profile here on the forum. Click on your user icon, select Preferences > Profile. Or at the URL https://forum.openrefine.org/u/yourusername/preferences/profile

5 Likes

I’m Sandra Fauconnier, an art historian from Belgium/the Netherlands. I work on digital projects in the cultural sector, mainly related to Wikimedia projects (GLAMwiki) and Linked Open Data.

I am an active contributor to Wikidata and Wikimedia Commons and use OpenRefine very frequently for batch edits / uploads on these projects.

I also worked as Product Manager for the Wikimedia Commons integration project in OpenRefine (which just finished! OpenRefine’s new features to upload files to Wikimedia Commons - and to arbitrary Wikibases - will be available in the new OpenRefine 3.7 release).

4 Likes

I’m Owen Stephens, a librarian and consultant from the UK. I use OpenRefine almost every day and I like to help other people get the most from the tool through training and by answering questions online.

3 Likes

Hi there,
I’m Jan, software engineer from France/Czech. I discovered OpenRefine recently and I’m working in my free time on an extension for preprocessing medical data. OpenRefine and this extension will be used for a medical research conducted in a public hospital (by my dad :slight_smile: )

Great to see that a community maintaining an open source software!

cheers

3 Likes

Hi I’m Tamsin, I’ve been using OpenRefine for a couple of years to clean data and upload edits to Wikidata. I manage the NZThesisProject, where we have data for >66k New Zealand theses in Wikidata and I’m currently using OR to match main subjects and authors for those theses. Additionally I like adding lists of prizewinners and other notable people to Wikidata.

Cheers.

3 Likes

Sounds really interesting @Jan - feel free to post in the #dev category with questions. A few years ago I wrote this blog post about my experience writing an extension for the first time in case it’s any help Writing an extension to add new GREL functions to OpenRefine | Overdue Ideas

Welcome @drthneed. I know that LSE in the UK have been doing similar work with their theses and I hope some of the people from there will also be joining this forum soon!

yes I’ve read that blog post few moths back. It was still very helpful

1 Like

Hello, all! I’m Sasha – a Metadata Librarian with Binghamton University. I’m looking into ways we can use OpenRefine / AlmaRefine to open up some of our siloed information into linked data environments!

2 Likes

Thanks Owen! Yes I contacted Helen at LSE after she posted a query to the OpenRefine gmail group, so we have been sharing what we are doing which is really helpful. I’ve also been helping a librarian at Stanford Hopkins Marine station to put theses into Wikidata. I’m not sure if there are others working on thesis metadata but I’m happy to hear from anyone who is :smile:

1 Like

Welcome @SashaF ! I wasn’t even aware of alma-refine before so thank you for introducing it :slight_smile: it looks like it’s actually a user of reconciliation services rather than directly linked to OpenRefine (except by name)?

Hello friends

Myself, Parthasarathi Mukhopadhay I’m from India and teach at the Library School of the University of Kalyani. I’ve been using OpenRefine for the past five years and learn something new every day from the software wiki and from the helpful and knowledgeable people in this forum.

1 Like

Welcome Parthasarathi! Great to have you here

Hi - I am Jonathan Stoneman. I am a former journalist, now a freelance trainer, mainly of journalists, working with data. I live in the UK. I use OpenRefine every day. I love showing others how to clean data, and also to reconcile. I’ve also lately taught myself Regular Expressions, and am getting to grips with doing things with GREL. But I also do a lot of work in, and train people to use, R - so I am keen to keep a foot in both those lovely camps!

1 Like

Great to meet you Jonathan and welcome!

Oh, I am already late to the party!
I am Antonin and I first came across OpenRefine some years ago when I was looking for tools to import datasets in Wikidata. It felt like a fun software project to get involved in and it quickly became my main occupation. There are tons of things I want to improve in the tool so it’s not always easy to prioritize them! What motivates me the most is meeting users in person (such as at the Dataharvest conference this year) and getting the feeling that I can indirectly contribute to the awesome projects they do with OpenRefine. Keep those coming!

4 Likes

Hi all,

I’m Robert Garrigos, Wikipedian enthusiast and musician. I’m coordinating a couple of Wikidata projects about music (Lieder and Sardanes). My mentor in Wikidata, Amadalvarez, asked me to investigate OpenRefine a few months ago, so I can brief him about it, and I just fall in love with it. Now, I’m preparing my first session on OpenRefine at the Wikidata 10th anniversary party we are having in Amposta this weekend, within the annual Catalan Wikipedians meeting.

I’m looking forward to learning a lot here and, eventually, help others.

Robert.

2 Likes

Welcome Robert! So glad you found OpenRefine :slight_smile: