V3.7.0 Installation Error

I assume you are using Windows as operating system?

There is a limit on how long a file path is allowed to be (aka MAX_PATH limitation or issue).

Details for example here Maximum Path Length Limitation - Win32 apps | Microsoft Learn

Workarounds for this are modifying the registry key as suggested in the Microsoft help article.
Or to create a separate partition where you can put portable software directly under the “root”.

C:\Users\YourUserName\Software\OpenRefine\... <= path too long
D\:OpenRefine\                                <= shorter path

Some Software checks the MAX_PATH limit when installing and allows to directly control this behaviour.
But afaik an OpenRefine Installer is still work in progress.

Yes, I’m using Windows. Thank you for your response!

Best regards,

Taiquitha “Tai” Robins
Pronunciation: Tie-key-tha
Pronouns: she/her/hers
Graduate Assistant
Department of Biomedical Informatics
UAMS

Confidentiality Notice: This e-mail message, including any attachments, is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply e-mail and destroy all copies of the original message.

Our packaging scripts do report that the path of some files is too long when generating the .zip file for Windows. Of course a proper installer would be better, but I wonder if there would be quicker fixes that we could apply in the meantime. Perhaps using other archive formats that are also well-supported on Windows and allow for longer paths?

Yo could use 7-Zip for extracting the zip file, as afaik it will ignore the MAX_PATH limitation. You might still end up with errors because of unloadable classes when starting OpenRefine.