Dear OpenRefine Development Team,
I am writing this letter to provide feedback on a bug I encountered while using OpenRefine, along with the solution I discovered. First and foremost, I would like to express my appreciation for OpenRefine. It is an outstanding data cleaning tool that has greatly helped me in my work.
During my practical usage, I discovered a bug related to the “Select column - Edit cells - Fill spaces with duplicates” feature. While using the deduplication function, I noticed that OpenRefine still identified duplicate entries despite applying the fill down operation.
However, through my exploration, I found a workaround that I would like to share with you. By following the steps below, I successfully removed the duplicate entries:
- Firstly, I sorted the data to ensure that duplicate entries were adjacent. I utilized OpenRefine’s sorting feature to bring the duplicates together.
- Next, I used the “Keep sorted” option to maintain the sorting order while editing cells. This ensured that my modifications did not affect the positions of other rows.
- I selected the column I wanted to process.
- In the Edit menu, I chose the “Edit cells” option.
- In the dialog box that appeared, I selected the “Fill spaces with duplicates” feature.
By following these steps, I was able to successfully eliminate duplicate entries, and OpenRefine no longer identified them.
I hope that my experience can be helpful in resolving this bug. OpenRefine is an exceptional tool, and I have confidence in your ongoing efforts to improve it and provide users with a better experience. Thank you once again for your hard work and contributions.
Sincerely, A Grateful User