OpenRefine presence at Wikimania 2024

Wikimania is the main annual conference of the Wikimedia movement, with which OpenRefine has strong ties. This year it will happen in Katowice, Poland, 7-10th August.

I thought we could try to coordinate OpenRefine's presence there here. Who plans to attend? Does anyone plan to organize any workshop, talk, meetup or anything else related to OpenRefine? Maybe there are opportunities to team up on such efforts, too.

Let's ping some of the usual suspects! @Susanna_Anas @Nicolas_VIGNERON @nikki @Antoine2711 @Sandra @Ainali @envlh (apologies to anyone I missed!)

6 Likes

I will attend and would happily participate in an OpenRefine activity (or several). If nothing else, we should do an informal meetup in some of the evenings. Some years there is also an opportunity for booths/tables. If they offer it this year, do we want to organize one for both PR and as a quick helpdesk?

1 Like

Both ideas sound really great! I haven't made up my mind about attending, but if I am around I would definitely help out there.

I should be there.
I'll be happy to participate in any activities, in particular a meetup and I could help at a booth (and during the hackathon ?).
Maybe a poster could be a good idea too (what is OpenRefine, where it's going, etc.).

3 Likes

I'm not sure if I'll be there or not. If I am, I will enthusiastically participate/help out/whatever with OpenRefine related activities.

1 Like

I just realized that the call for proposals is only open for a few more days! The deadline is on April 10, 12:00 UTC.

They offer the following session types:

• Workshop (85 minutes) – interactive format to work out a solution or provide learning experiences
  • Demonstration (40 minutes) – live demonstration of e.g. a tool, possibly with interactive elements
  • Lecture (25 minutes)
  • Panel (55 minutes) – a discussion with a few contributors and an audience
  • Roundtable (40 minutes) – a discussion where everyone has equal right to participate
  • Lightning talk (5/10 minutes) – a quick presentation of a concept or story
  • Poster (time duration not applicable–will be part of shared poster session) – posters will need to be submitted as files once accepted
  • Other. Please specify in Notes section (25 minutes) – anything that does not fit into any of the above format

Is anyone submitting anything? I think the format that I am the most interested in is @Ainali 's suggestion of a booth/table for PR and as a helpdesk, which doesn't fit in any of the categories above, really. I have asked if they plan to offer that separately but haven't heard back. I'm tempted to just submit something in the "Other" category, hoping that they can do something with it. I'm not so tempted by the poster format (because I am too lazy to make a poster and the poster session will maybe not be the best way to offer a helpdesk).

@G_Fontenelle and @Sandra, will someone from the WikiCommons trainer group be presenting at Wikimania?

On the Wikimedia-OpenRefine Telegram group, we realized that:

• Asaf Bartov has submitted a proposal for a 2h OpenRefine-Wikidata workshop
  • There is indeed another proposal for an OpenRefine-Commons workshop, submitted by participants of the train-the-trainers course

People agree that it would be best to keep the two workshops distinct because they will cover different things.

4 Likes