Organizing an OpenRefine BarCamp

As a potential attendee, in order to express my preference for a particular option, I would find it helpful to know the details I mentioned above (primarily: when and where exactly would it happen, who would be organizing it). So far the proposals you summarized are very vague: we don't have any proposed dates, and people have said they "might be willing to" (co)-organize something, which is quite different from offering to actually take the responsibility to do it.

Also, attendees have different constraints: I expect some will only be able to attend on a week-end because they can't take time off work for this, some others would rather have it during the week because it's something that can fall within the remit of their work duties and they'd rather not have it infringe on family life. Some would likely attend remotely in any case, so they don't mind the location too much apart from timezone considerations, some others will only be able to attend something that's close to their home. To make it possible for everyone to voice their preferences in an informed way, I think it's easier if we have more concrete proposals.

So, I would encourage everyone who is considering organizing such an OpenRefine meeting to come up with a clear proposal of:

• venue (with a rough indication of the size)
  • dates
  • remote attendance options

At least I hope to be able to make a couple of such proposal in the coming weeks.

1 Like

Sorry, I was just trying to express (poorly, apparently), my opinion that there weren't any other serious proposals.

I'll just speak for myself and say that I don't plan to enter the competitive bidding process.

Tom

Hi all,

Here are a couple of more concrete options for an in-person meeting around OpenRefine.

Venues:

Dates:

• At TIB, May 8th to 10th (Wednesday to Friday), which would require them to move a small event already booked during that time somewhere else
  • At TIB, May 29th to 31st (Wednesday to Friday)
  • At TUECHTIG, May 31st to June 2nd (Friday to Sunday)
  • At TUECHTIG, June 17th to 19th (Monday to Wednesday)

I have asked Wikimedia Deutschland if they would also be available to host the meeting, but have not heard back yet, so I propose we go ahead and vote on those existing options already.

Here is a poll to select a combination of date and venue. I would like to make remote participation possible for all those options.

If none of the options work for you, please make comment in this thread (or on the poll) and we'll see if we can find other options that would work better for you.

1 Like

Me, I can't afford to go to Europe. So I went to say no to all, but I, of course, don't mind it being there. I would maybe participate through video-conference if is made sense.

Regards, Antoine

1 Like

@Antoine2711 we plan to have a budget available to help with travel expenses.

@antonin_d, can we add a mention regarding the support for travel expenses and update the poll to allow remote attendance?

@Martin I have added a mention of travel expenses - the remote attendance is already mentioned.

Well, if the organization think I can be an asset, I'm willing to put time aside.
There are also great contributorsm like @tfmorris, who could give added values by their presence. I let this in your hands. I'm ready if necessary.

Regards, Antoine.

Next week, I plan to contact the users and contributors I interviewed to poll their interest and availability.

1 Like

Nice! Unfortunately I realized that two of the dates I proposed conflict with Dataharvest 2024 which I would be interested in attend (and making it possible for other people attending Dataharvest to also come to our barcamp). I have updated my entry in the poll accordingly. I wonder if it would be worth finding more options before doing wider publicity for the poll.

I agree it is best to identify new options before asking more people to answer the poll.

I would like to come to a decision for the date and venue soon.
According to the poll, the best options so far are:

1. TUECHTIG (Berlin), June 17th to 19th (11 yes/ok votes)
  2. TIB (Hannover), May 8th to 10th with (10 yes/ok votes)

I would be tempted to go for the first one, since it has more votes and is a bit later (giving us more time to organize). Having the event in a capital might be easier for people flying in, helping people opt for direct flights.

I would have loved to do the event at TIB, I think it would have made much more sense than going for a commercial venue, and would have reinforced our ties with Open Science Lab. I also grateful for the invitation that @lozanaross extended. Hopefully we can do another meeting there at some other point.

I also had a meeting with WMDE about organizing the event there: sadly, they are already quite full for this year and have planned some remodeling work in their event space (starting in the last week of June), so it looks like it wouldn't work there.

Last call for concerns / resistance before we go for TUECHTIG (Berlin), June 17th to 19th?

3 Likes

Let's make it official then: we'll hold this event in Berlin, June 17th to 19th!

I would very much welcome other people joining me in organizing this. There are plenty of topics to think about: setting up a registration process, deciding which attendees to support financially, doing outreach to invite potential attendees, coming up with a process to create the schedule, finding ideas for social activities, organizing catering, and surely many other things I haven't even thought about yet!

If you feel like giving a hand on any of those topics, let me know :slight_smile:

I have started a website for the event:
https://openrefine.github.io/BarCamp2024/
The source is at: GitHub - OpenRefine/BarCamp2024: website for the OpenRefine BarCamp in 2024
Improvements welcome!

4 Likes

I would be happy to help!

2 Likes

Would love to help in the background :grin:

2 Likes

Nice! I have started a list of tasks here:

Feel free to add more of them and chime in on the ones you are interested in working on.

3 Likes

The BarCamp is now in less than two months! As we are drawing closer to the event, we would like to hear from those who are interested in participating, so that we can finalize the list of participants and schedule sessions.

To do this, we would like to know

1. What do you hope to gain from attending the event?
  2. Are you interested in organizing a session around a specific topic?
  3. Do you plan to attend in person or remotely? If you are attending in person, we have a budget to help with travel costs. You can share that information when registering

To register and submit a session proposal, please visit the event website at OpenRefine 2024 BarCamp.

What’s a BarCamp?

Unlike traditional conference formats, BarCamps have a self-organizing character. The organizers of a BarCamp may choose the theme for the meeting, but those who choose to attend are in charge of the schedule. Attendees propose sessions on our website where attendees can vote on what they are interested to attend.

We pulled together a list of ideas to start the conversation. Feel free to tweak, adapt, or suggest something new:

• Demo of a workflow or specific usage of OpenRefine in your community or organization
  • Comparison of OpenRefine with other software
  • Discussion to improve Documentation, Translation, User Onboarding, Training…
  • Sprint to tackle a specific topic on documentation, training…
  • Feedback on your experience contributing to OpenRefine, how we can improve our contributor experience
  • Design review and usability testing session
  • Discussion regarding OpenRefine governance, how we make decisions, how one gains or loses access
1 Like

As we are now just one month away from the first OpenRefine BarCamp, we would like to provide an update regarding registration and session planning.

We currently have 16 people registered to attend in person and 11 online participants. You can view the list of registered participants on the BarCamp site.

Please do not wait to register, whether you are planning to attend in person or online. It will help us greatly with our preparations.

If you seek financial support to attend in person in Berlin and still need to register, please do so before Monday, May 20th . We will still accept registrations after that date, but we won't be able to guarantee financial support.

Session Submission:

So far, we have received seven session submissions on the Barcamp portal and have a few spots left for session proposals.

We will run a single-track event so everyone can attend all sessions. If you have a session idea but are not ready to facilitate it, please indicate it in your submission; we have volunteers ready to step in.

We expect a two-hour session with Bocoup to present their draft mission and vision statement. They will share the details by the end of the month.

For those who register on the BarCamp platform, you can vote and comment on the proposed sessions.

Looking forward to seeing you at the BarCamp!

Just a quick reminder to register on the BarCamp platform even if you're planning to attend remotely. You can find more details and the Monday, June 17th half-day schedule on our blog

Hi @Martin and community! FYI, I probably am the odd timezone to account for, so... I've already discussed with my family here in China and will be adjusting my schedule and be glad to stay up very late evenings for the 3 days. So, this means that essentially, virtually, I will be in Berlin timezone also. This should help to account for everyone else in timezones behind me, like Europe, USA, etc. I figured I'd do this to just make session planning much more easier for everyone.

So, virtually, I'll be in Berlin timezone as the rest of the attendees there for the 3 days.
Looking forward to seeing everyone online!

2 Likes

@Martin there's a typo in the "on our blog" URL. And extra period at the end of it.
Should have been on our blog

1 Like