Meeting Minutes -
- Jan Ainali - Advisory Committee
- Danielle Robinson - Code for Science and Society
- Alicia Lochard - Code for Science and Society
- Martin Magdinier - Project Manager
Advisory Committee Hiring
- Monday, July 24th - Martin and Antonin met in person in Lyon, France.
- Two candidates identified so far.
- Martin is actively reaching out to potential candidates.
- Proposal to move to a 4-person Advisory Committee.
- Danielle suggested having some overlap between terms and cautioned against onboarding too many people at once.
- Martin completed 12 interviews and will schedule the next round.
- Patterns emerging from interviews:
- People want to be told how to contribute.
- Developer journey may be defined, but need to define other contributor journeys (e.g., translation, training, design, etc.).
- Currently, there are limited ways to recognize non-code contributions in OpenRefine, unlike developers using GitHub features.
- Lydia, an Outreachy intern, is working on the designer track to make OpenRefine more welcoming for designers.
- Danielle asked if the team has the necessary tools or if they need to work with designers to build a process/contributor track.
- Possible models/connections to make:
Mozilla Infrastructure - 50k grant
- Suggestion to make the grant about building data quality feature for OpenRefine.
- Data Futures Lab, Lead is Champika Fernando.
- Letter of Intent due by the end of August.
- Notice of grant in December 2023 for work to start in 2024.
- Important to share cross-disciplinary impact and communities supported by OpenRefine in the letter of intent.
Designer job posting
- The job will be broader in terms of grant, looking holistically at OpenRefine's needs.
- Danielle to connect Martin Magdinier and Kristie at Turing Way.
- Martin to share the letter of intent for Mozilla Infrastructure.