Minutes from the monthly call of September 2023 between OpenRefine Advisory Committee and Code for Science and Society.
- Alicia Lochard - Code for Science and Society
- Rayya El Zein - Code for Science and Society
- Antonin Delpeuch - Advisory Committee
- Jan Ainali (joining late) - Advisory Committee
- Martin Magdinier - Project Manager
NDFI4Culture renewed their grant with OpenRefine for 2023 (see announcement). To support the grant, the Advisory Committee hired Ayushi in continuation of her Outreachy internship for a three-month contract. Lydia, also in continuation of her Outreachy internship, will be helping as needed with design.
- The designer job posting is available and shared on social media platform. CS&S will also share on their side. We started to receive applications. We are looking for a start date in October 2023.
- Interim Financial and narrative report is due on October 1st, 2023.
WMF Train the trainer:
- See announcement on the forum.
- The grant team changed the stipend to USD 3,000 for up to 5 participants. A stipend will be paid at the end of the training.
Martin ask to manage grant budget. I am looking for a template to track individual grant budgets to compare the initial, revised, and actual budgets. Ideally, those individual grants will be consolidated in an overall budget.
Recent and upcoming efforts:
- Mozilla Letter of Intent sent. Expect to hear back by September 29.
- New EOSS 6 (pdf) - call has been released, with multi-year funding, there can be overlap between cycles. Need to decide if we apply. Letter of intent is due by October 17, 2023.
- The advisory committee also identified NLnet funding, which closes October 1.
Martin completed 12 to 15 interviews.
The main feedback is that community members often don’t know how to contribute. They need more guidance on
- where and how they can help and
- regarding OpenRefine’s expectations and best practices.
We are considering creating a contributor handbook to create transparency about the contributor journey and how people move through it and gain status/seniority. We already have some discussion in the community: Improving the onboarding process for new contributors
Possible resource mentioned by CS&S: CSCCE
- Martin will meet with Turing Way on Monday, 9/11
- Share a summary of those interviews with the community
- Continue the conversation to create the contributor handbook.