šŸ‘‹ Introductions thread!

Hi, i am Jennifer, an Outreachy applicant, iā€™m exicted to be here

1 Like

@Amandla, you are very much welcome. You can go through the thread to get started and to also get acquainted and familiar with Openrefine

1 Like

Hi, My name is Isi Irabor, an outreachy applicant. I am just familiarizing myself with open refine. Nice to meet you all

1 Like

@Isi_Irabor you are welcome. Go through the first issues posted for outreachy applicants and make your contributions. Looking forward to working with you.

Hey everyone! Iā€™m Busola, an Outreachy applicant. Iā€™m interested in contributing to the ā€œImprove design workflows and communicationsā€ project of OpenRefine as a UIUX designer. I am just familiarizing myself with open refine. Nice to meet you all

1 Like

@busola_falope you are welcome. Try foing through the first issues and raising an issue in github. Goodluck to us all

1 Like

Hi everyone! I am Rita, a Frontend Developer and an Outreachy applicant.
I am interested in contributing to the ā€œimproving OpenRefineā€™s reconciliation UIā€ project of OpenRefine and hopefully get selected as an intern.
I have read the guideline for developers from @antonin_d , Iā€™ve also been able to install Openrefine and have it running locally. Now, I am going through the issues on Github to find a good first issue.
I would appreciate any help from the mentors in getting a good first issue.

cc: @antonin_d

Hi @i-am-rita, welcome to the project!

I would appreciate any help from the mentors in getting a good first issue.

Which sort of help do you need for that?
As I mentioned in the instructions for developer applicants, we cannot pick the issue for you, as we do not know which areas of OpenRefine you are familiar with and what your interests are.

The best I can do is randomly select an issue that has the tag "good first issue" and is not assigned to anyone yet. But I think you could do that on your own - and it would not be a great strategy in the first place, since you would likely end up working on a problem that you cannot relate to very well.

Thatā€™s true @antonin_d .

I would go ahead and keep searching for a good first issue that i can work on.

I would like to know if I can also suggest UI changes in some areas of OpenRefine UI.

You can! Feel free to open issues about those.

1 Like

Done,

I look forward to your review and thoughts on the issues raised.

Greetings! I am a fourth-year phd student from the University of Illinois Urbana Champaign. Iā€™ve been studying on OpenRefine for years, mainly about reproducibility, transparency and reusability. Please feel free to find the papers scholar. It is so nice to see that we now have this group and a good place to help share, document and categorize questions.

Hi here!

Iā€™m an OpenRefine user since 2017. Not long after using the tool to push data to Wikidata, I felt compelled to come and contribute to OpenRefine in order to make it a better tool, as there were at that time a lot of bugs that prevented to really appreciate OR.

Like @jfaurel and @timtom, Iā€™m from QuĆ©bec, near MontrĆ©al.

I learned to contribute to GitHub on open source software with OR, and I still have a lot to learn!

Unfortunately, I do not use OpenRefine in my work much, so I donā€™t have a lot of time to contribute to it in the last year.

Regards,
Antoine Beaubien
antoine2711

Hello
My name is Maciej and I am a software developer, with 6 years of commercial experience.
For my entire career I worked on proprietary/closed base software, and I would like to have some code/tests I wrote I can show others.

BEFORE I START - I AM A PERSON WHO ASKS FOR HELP ONLY WHEN I CANNOT DO SOMETHING MYSELF AND ALREADY TRIED.
The thing is - I browsed through hundreds of repositories and came to conclusion that nearly EVERYONE (I mean numbers wise) on Github/Gitlab etc. starts THEIR OWNE NEW project FOR THEMSELVES/ON THEIR OWN and its pretty much standard procedure.
Then they are the BOSS, they control everything, its surely FEELS GOOD for them, but in my humble opinion its irrational. There is no one to give them CR and once they decide either that they no longer care (a lot of developers unfortunately love to start something and then leave it as they please at their whim) they wonā€™t even DESCRIBE in readme.md in which state they abandoned it (complete, MVP, 30% complete - not even that). Not to mension that even if there is a description usually its written in a way that only people who are in some extreme niche (like a build planner for specific mmorpg game that 100 people plays) without even containing information what is the niche name. Its free for all ,whatever author likes even if he donā€™t know what he/she likes".

Therefore there is a lot of abandoned repositories is shitty state on Github, I already checked few hundreds of them.

But I have to do this since at the beginning I just picked a repository I liked that seem not abandoned (commits this year), there was some instructions how to get startedā€¦ So I did. And then I needed more information. Test Data, Information WHAT PROGRAM ACTUALLY DOES/HOW DO YOU USE THIS (you would be surprised how many devs do not care to include it. It is scary how majority of Github projects look like someones summer hut abandoned for the rest of the year).

I am tired of this. What I look for is a project WITH COMMUNITY. I want to dedicate at least 10h per month to this project either writing some features (I like this least), fixing some bugs (This is what I like the most. Seriously I prefer to edit existing code than writing a new one) or writing autormation Tests with Selenium.

But I need there 2 things from community that (and IF, ok?) would be willing to accept my free labor

• HAND HOLDING - YES! Especially in the beginning. And I do not mean to tell me what code to write ALL THE TIME. But I expect some instructions and help if I am stuck for too long when setting up dev environment for example on Docker, Code Review - and If my code displeases you, I expect you to tell me HOW to do it better and then review my attempt. I am more than willing to do the same FOR YOUR CODE.
  • To not throw me out - Yes, If my code/way of thinking/level of expertise will turn out to be not enough to your taste, I expect for you to tell me where to find materials, then I go there, study, get better. What I do not want is to join a community that only accepts dev with JOB-READY skills and If I show any struggle - community choses easy and lazy way and just tell me to go away AFTER accepting me before. If you have any doubt about me - show me to the door NOW instead of when I spend 30hrs getting started and invested just to be thrown out because you did not care cause its not you who has the problem. You can thrown me out if I am ahole to other people or if I try to monetize/rip you off - because I KNOW THIS IS NOT GOING TO HAPPEN.
    In other words, I would like to join a project and give you value, but with these 2 requirements. I am sorry if I came off as rude, but I already spend many hours in my life doing something for someone just to be told after I invested over 40hrs that they actually are not interested and I can go fk myself. I do not want to waste my time. And I assume you are awesome people but in any place where someone donā€™t need to pay for others time there are lurking smug and selfish idividuals and those are the one I wish to avoid.
    Do not get me wrong - I WANT TO CONTRIBUTE, FOR FREE, REGULARLY and this will not change. I just want a community to accomodate me or tell me to go away.

If your community can do just that, I would like to join. Please tell me what to do, or how to find what to do by myself in a way that is beneficial to the project.

Hi @Maciej_K,

Welcome to the project! Your contributions would be welcome here. We indeed try to build a community and help new contributors to get onboard. If you are interested, we have a meetup this coming week.

To start contributing to OpenRefine, have a look at our guide here:

If this guide is not clear enough, feel free to suggest improvements to it (in the issue tracker).

As mentioned in that guide, the first step in this contribution process is to become familiar with what the tool does (see the links in the guide).

Just a small note: perhaps you could avoid using all caps in your writing, as it is basically the online equivalent of shouting, which should rarely be needed here :slight_smile:

Looking forward to your pull requests!

Hi ALL!
I am late to introducing myself after a bit of lurking on and offā€¦
as Wikimedian, artivist and somewhat web-media designer-creator doing most of my work in content, participation and method gaps. As such I am not having many opportunities to work with bigger amounts of data, but will go in that direction also soon as I work more with bigger GLAM and Civil Society Organizations, mostly in Croatia, but also regionally and trans-locally. I have much experience with Wikis, bit less with MediaWiki and now learning about WikiBASE! Hopefully OpenRefine will help with work :wink:

2 Likes

Hello :wave:
I'm Dennis from Sweden.
I have been working voluntarily with Wikidata since a few years.
I have used OR to and fro since a few years and I like it a lot :star_struck:
Big thanks to everyone who helped make this great tool.

4 Likes

Welcome @dpriskorn !

Hi, all. I'm Elaine, an actuary working at a commercial property & casualty insurance company. I'm a total newbie to this tool...

Welcome @elainetai - feel free to post in the Support channel if you have questions about using the software!